PASADENA, CA – The Vassar College women’s tennis team shook off a defeat to Chapman University yesterday, chalking up a 6-3 victory Sunday afternoon over No. 40 Caltech in play from the Caltech Tennis Courts. Both teams came in tied for the No .40 tanking in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings.
The Brewers (8-3) jumped out on top early thanks to a dominating performance at No. 3 doubles, as senior Courtney Geiss and freshman Meghan Rodick ran their win streak to three with an 8-1 victory. VC added to its lead at the No. 2 doubles in an exciting match, as senior Dasha Ivenitsky and freshman Sarra Yekta moved to 5-1 on the season with a 9-7 victory.
The final doubles match was tied at 8-8 at the No. 1 position, but Kana Moriyama and Sarina Liu topped Vassar’s Tara Edwards and Morgane Flournoy 7-5 in the tie-breaker to earn the final pair’s point.
VC would control singles though, winning four of the six matches, starting first with a straight set victory by Yekta at No. 6 with scores of 6-2, 6-0. Yekta has now her last six matches in doubles and singles combined. Edwards made the score 4-1 at No. 2 singles, as she cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 defeat of Julia Reisler.
The Brewers earned the clinching point at the top position, as freshman Frances Cornwall chalked up her eighth victory of the season with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph. Caltech picked up wins at No. 4 and No. 5 to make the score 5-3, but the Brewers saw Rodick earn a 7-6 (2), 6-4 win at No. 3 singles to finish the match. Rodick has won her last three singles bouts, and leads the team with 13 wins this year.
Vassar will return to the East Coast and get ready for the first home match of 2018 with a 2:30 p.m. outing with Liberty League newcomer Ithaca College Saturday, March 31.
#40 Vassar College 6, #40 Caltech 3
Mar 18, 2018 at Pasadena, CA (CalTech Tennis Courts)
1. Frances Cornwall (VCWT) def. Kana Moriyama (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-3
2. Tara Edwards (VCWT) def. Julia Reisler (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Meghan Rodick (VCWT) def. Sarina Liu (CALTECHW) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
4. Erin Wang (CALTECHW) def. Courtney Geiss (VCWT) 7-5, 6-1
5. Ankita Roychoudhury (CALTECHW) def. Morgane Flournoy (VCWT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Sarra Yekta (VCWT) def. Vinci Chen (CALTECHW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Kana Moriyama/Sarina Liu (CALTECHW) def. Tara Edwards/Morgane Flournoy (VCWT) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Dasha Ivenitsky/Sarra Yekta (VCWT) def. Erin Wang/Julia Reisler (CALTECHW) 9-7
3. Courtney Geiss/Meghan Rodick (VCWT) def. Vinci Chen/Ankita Roychoudhury (CALTECHW) 8-1