POUGHKEEPSIE – Dutchess County Executive Marcus Molinaro created a “Complete Count Committee” to raise awareness about the upcoming 2020 census.
The committee will be working with civic-minded organizations and local governments to ensure people understand the census process and participate in it so that the county is accurately represented in the count.
State and county legislative districts will be redrawn based on the census number and the information is also used when communities plan important efforts from providing health services to assessing transportation needs.
“We want to ensure every person in Dutchess County is counted for the upcoming census,” Molinaro said. “People have the right to be accurately represented.”
He said the census results also determine how more than $675 billion in federal funds are distributed each year, “so there is a direct financial impact to ensuring an accurate count.”
Members of the Complete Count Committee include:
* Brian Doyle, Chief Executive Officer of Family Services Inc.
* Jennifer Drake, Senior Program Officer of The Dyson Foundation
* Karen Dipnarine-Saroop, Executive Director of Dutchess County Interfaith Council
* Eva Woods Peiró, Professor of Hispanic studies at Vassar College
* Brian Riddell, Executive Director of Dutchess Outreach
* Jonathan Bix, Executive Director of Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson
* Seema Rizvi, Representative of the Dutchess County Human Rights Commission
* Tom Lawrence, Director of Poughkeepsie Public Library District
* Maffy Malaver, Director of ABC Latino
* L’Quette Taylor, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Community Matters 2
* Mario Johnson, Project Coordinator of Empire State After-School Extended Learning Time Program, Poughkeepsie City School District
* Christine Sergent, Executive Director of North East Community Center
* Danny Hairston, Coordinator of The Family Services SNUG program
* Gabriela Owen, Latino organizer