Cadets Fight Off LIU’s Comeback Bid, To Win

WEST POINT – The Army West Point women’s basketball team warded off a late fourth quarter surge from LIU Wednesday evening, eventually defeating the Sharks, 67-60, in overtime.

For the second game in a row, Alisa Fallon stepped up and hit crucial late-game free throws. Trailing 56-54 in the final seconds, Fallon missed a layup, but she collected the rebound and drew a foul on the way back up with exactly three seconds remaining. Like she did against Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday, Fallon knocked down both of her free throws to force overtime.

In overtime Lindsey Scamman took over, registering six points to finish the evening with 17. Scamman was also huge on the glass throughout the contest, gathering a career-high 17 rebounds. Hope Brown collected a new career high with 20 points. The freshman was 3-of-5 from deep and was 7-of-9 at the charity stripe. Fallon also registered double-figures with 10 points.

The Sharks had three players in double digits, led by Kiara Bell and Jeydah Johnson who each had 14 points, Shyla Sanford had 12.

LIU jumped out to an early 10-3 lead, but Army connected on a pair of treys to make it a one-point game. The Sharks, however, would hold a 14-9 lead through the opening quarter of play.

The Cadets opened the second frame on 13-2 run to take the 22-16 lead. Brown contributed eight points during the run. Army would go on to take the 32-23 lead in to halftime.
The Black Knights shot an impressive 55.6 percent from the field in the second quarter, shooting 10-of-18.

After the Sharks used a strong third quarter to cut Army’s lead to three, the Black Knights opened the fourth quarter strongly. With just over six minutes left in regulation, Army jumped to its largest lead of the contest, holding a 52-42 advantage over the Sharks.

LIU responded with a 13-0 run to take the 55-52 lead with just over a minute left to play.
Before Fallon hit her two free throws that sent the contest to overtime, Brown knocked down a pair with 54 seconds remaining to keep the Cadets in the game.

In overtime, the Cadets held the Shark to 0-for-10 from the field. Additionally, Army shot 9-for-12 from the line.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email