Blue Knights Tripped Up At Western Connecticut

DANBURY, CT. – Playing its first road game of the season, the Mount Saint Mary College Men’s Basketball team traveled to Western Connecticut State on Saturday and suffered a 75-40 non-conference loss. Chris Yearwood led the Mount in scoring with 10 points.

Saturday’s loss drops Mount Saint Mary to 0-2 in the early going, while Western Connecticut improves to 3-1 on the season.

First Half
Mount Saint Mary got on the board on a Jayden Racca bucket to open the scoring in the game, giving the Knights their only lead of the contest.

Western Connecticut answered with the next six points to pull in front for good in the game.

The Colonials’ lead reached double-figures for the first time on a James Rhoades bucket that pushed them in front 16-6 with 11:03 left before halftime.

A Ryan Graham layup brought the Mount to within 26-24 with 4:10 left in the first half and Racca got the Knights to within 28-26 with a bucket with 2:43 left in the opening stanza, but that would be as close as the Knights would get the rest of the way.

Malik Cole converted a bucket with 13 seconds left it the half to spread the Western Connecticut lead to 31-26 heading into the intermission.

Mount Saint Mary converted at 39.3-percent (11-for-28) and knocked in four of its nine three-point attempts.

Western Connecticut shot just shy of 45-percent in the opening period.

Yearwood and Connor Cyran led the Mount with five points apiece at the break.

Matthew Turner led all scorers at the half with six points for the Colonials.

Second Half
Western Connecticut broke the game open with a 15-2 run to open the second half, surging in front 46-28.

The Colonials went 6-for-10 from the floor over the run that lasted just under seven minutes.

The Mount would not be able to climb closer than 14 points the rest of the way, with Western Connecticut grabbing a game-high 36 point lead on a Joe Brown three-point play with 1:02 left to play.

Mount Saint Mary was held to 20.8-percent shooting (5-for-24) after halftime and went 1-for-12 from behind the arc.

Western Connecticut shot an efficient 64.3-percent after the break and knocked in its only three-pointer of the game in the second stanza.

Yearwood totaled five more points in the second half for the Knights.

For The Knights
Yearwood scored in double-figures for the second straight game to open the season, going 4-for-6 from the field and 3-for-4 from three-point range.

Cyran chipped in seven points and five rebounds.

J.P. Egan led the Mount with six rebounds on the day.

Mike Dedda handed out three assists and collected four rebounds.

For The Colonials
Turner led all players with 13 points, going 6-for-9 from the floor. He added two assists and a pair of steals.

Solomon Silas scored 11 points off the bench and collected five rebounds.

Wes Nelson finished the day with seven points, two assists and a trio of steals.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email