Army Football Falls to Georgia State at Home

WEST POINT – Army rushed for 354 yards on the ground and controlled the time of possession (38:55) but fell 31-14 at Michie Stadium to the Georgia State Panthers. Georgia State logged their first win of the season (1-4) and West Point fell to 1-3.

Georgia State received the opening kick, driving into the red zone before a Leo Lowin sack led to a field goal for the Panthers. After a lost fumble for the Black Knights on their opening drive, the Panthers reached the red zone for a consecutive drive. Facing a fourth and short at the five-yard line, the Army defense held strong with Leo Lowin helping make the stop on a rushing attempt.

Army was unable to capitalize after forcing the turnover on downs, punting the ball away just after the beginning of the second quarter. Georgia State scored the first touchdown of the game on the ensuing drive, taking a 10-0 lead when QB Darren Grainger rushed for a 13-yard TD with 11:14 remaining in the half.

Cade Ballard was able to pick up a pair of first downs on the ground on Army’s next possession, before the drive stalled in Panthers’ territory resulting in a turnover on downs. Georgia State added another touchdown before the half through a Jameson Williams 33-yard rushing touchdown. Army went into the half facing a 17-0 deficit.

The Black Knights would respond coming out of half-time, with a Tyhier Tyler 36-yard rush setting up a first and goal after Ay’Jaun Marshall moved the chains with a 15-yard run.

Tyler went on to score with a 1-yard keeper to make the score 17-7 with 10:32 remaining in the third quarter.

Army’s offense would stay hot on their ensuing drive, traveling 13-plays, 80-yards which was also capped off by a Tyler TD run, taking it in from 5-yards out to narrow the game, 17-14 early in the fourth quarter.

The Black Knight’s defense generated a big stop when Marquel Broughton forced a fumble which was recovered by Lowin at the Army 49 yard-line. The offense would again march down the field. However, Army faced a 4th down-and-inches from the Georgia State one-yard line, threatening to take a 21-17 lead midway through the quarter, however Jakobi Buchanan’s rush attempt was stopped short of the goal line by the Georgia State defense.

Georgia State would add to touchdowns late, as the Army defense attempted to get the ball back, by way of a Ja’Cyais Credle 57-yard TD catch and a Tucker Gregg 56-yard TD run to make the final score 31-14.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email