Jalen Rucker Scores 29 as Army Men Improve to 5-1

BOSTON, MA – Army West Point (11-8, 5-1) led for the entire game in what was a closely battled contest in a 83-74 win over the Boston Terriers (9-10, 2-4) Saturday afternoon at Case Gym.

Jalen Rucker led the way for the Black Knights scoring a game high 29 points, shooting 4-6 from three-point land, and dishing out five assists.

Army got out of the gates quickly, jumping out to an early 17-6 lead by the 13:46 mark.
During the early run, freshman Ethan Roberts sank a three to get Army on the board as Jalen Rucker and TJ Small also came up with three-point makes early.

Rucker, who is having a terrific start to Patriot League play, continued his sharp shooting, sinking three three-pointers in the first 13 minutes of the first half helping Army get out to a 25-19 lead.

Boston tied the game at 25-25 from a layup from Jonas Harper at the 6:10 mark, what marked a 19-8 Terrier run.

Army was able to extend the lead with a TJ Small made three-pointer and an Ethan Roberts layup to grow the lead back to 32-26 with 3:45 to go in the half.

Boston’s leading scorer, Walter Whyte knocked down a three cutting the lead, 32-29.

Army went into half time with a 40-36 lead. Army shot 6-12 from three-point, including three makes from Rucker, two from Small and one from Roberts.

Boston’s Walter Whyte had a perfect start, shooting 4-4 from the field, including 2-2 from three-point for 12 points to lead all scorers at half.

To start the second half, Boston’s Jonas Harper connected on a three-pointer drawing Army’s lead to one-point, 40-39.

Jalen Rucker picked up where he left off in the first half, drilling his first shot from three to give him four three-point makes on the afternoon. Jared Cross followed Rucker with a three-point make of his own and then a layup on the next possession to push Army’s lead back up to seven, 50-43 at the 16:43 mark of the second half.

The Terriers continued its hot shooting as Jonas Harper made his second three-pointer.

Through the first part of the second half, Boston shot 4-5 on three-pointers, including makes from Damon Tate and Caelan Jones, as Boston hung with Army, 62-61 by the 8:00 minute mark.

With the game in the balance in the stretch run, Jalen Rucker was phenomenal, scoring 11 of his 29 in the final eight minutes. Rucker converted on a big three-point play, making a layup on which he was fouled, helping Army cling to a 65-61 lead.

Boston’s Jonas Harper connected on his third three of the half, cutting the lead back to three, 73-70 with 3:57 to play.

However, down the stretch Rucker was a perfect 6-6 from the foul line as Army held on for the 83-74 victory.

Army was paced by Rucker (29), Roberts (15) and Charlie Peterson (11).

Boston saw four players in double digits, Walter Whyte (16), Jonas Harper (15), Ethan Brittain-Watts (11) and Caelan Jones (10).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email