Warning: Undefined array key "id" in /homepages/1/d829385830/htdocs/clickandbuilds/HudsonValleyPress/wp-content/plugins/ap-plugin-scripteo/lib/functions.php on line 2092
BEACON – Mayor Lee Kyriacou has named a police chief search committee to recruit, screen, and recommend candidates for Beacon police chief.
Former chief Kevin Junjulas resigned recently and the mayor named retired Beacon officer William Cornett as interim chief.
The mayor named City Councilman Terry Nelson as chairman of the search committee with 12 additional members.
“We are committed to finding the best possible candidate through an open and transparent process,” Kyriacou said.
“An ideal candidate might actually represent some of that diversity that traditionally is not always represented,” he said.
“With great diversity comes great ideas,” said Chairman Nelson. “We have a wonderfully representative group of people who will work hard to find the best candidate for Beacon, and the public will play a key role in the process.”
Members of the committee include:
* Deborah Felder, school guidance counselor; involved in local NAACP chapter
* Deacon Marty Mayeski, St. John’s the Evangelist; Lewis Tompkins House chaplain
* Pastor John Perez, Faith Temple Church of God in Christ
* John Rembert, former city council member; retired US Army veterans; ordained clergyman
* Molly Rhodes, director, Teach for America
* Stefon Seward, Beacon High School graduate; co-founder, Beacon for Black Lives
* Air Rhodes. City council member, Ward 2
* Michael Deane, chair, Human Relations Commission
* Sands Frost, Beacon Police lieutenant
* William Cornett, acting police chief of Beacon
* Anthony Ruggiero, city administrator
* Gina Basile, Human Resources director
The city council has also hired Public Sector Research to assist in a nationwide search for a new chief.