Army Earns League Points for Fifth Straight Game

BRIDGEPORT, CT. – The Army hockey team captured the extra league point with a shootout victory after the 2-2 tie on Saturday night against Sacred Heart.

Army has now earned league points in its last five conference games after tonight’s win in the shootout and finished the weekend with five points in the standings. The Black Knights have also earned points in the last four games away from Tate Rink.

“For us to come on the road tonight and pick up a huge point in the shootout win, it was just a great weekend for us,” head coach Brian Riley said. “I think the exciting thing is that we’ve strung back-to-back weekends together in the league where we’ve played really well with three out of the four of those games coming on the road.”

The Black Knights got goals from Lincoln Hatten and Tucker DeYoung in the shootout win and was 1-for-4 on the power play with DeYoung’s tally coming with the extra skater. Trevin Kozlowski was once again a force in net with 32 stops including 15 in the third period and overtime. He also stopped four of five chances in the shootout to claim the extra point.

“It’s a pretty good feeling to be on this run that we are currently on,” Kozlowski said. “We are starting to find our identity and are recognizing how we need to play every game. If you look at all of these games on the run we’re having, they’re all extremely close games. This is crucial that we are learning how to play in these types of games now, because this is what playoff hockey looks like. It’s extremely fun for me and I’m happy I can play a small role in our team’s success.”

The Pioneers struck first with just over 12 minutes on the clock with Josh Allan finding the back of the net on the power play. He got around a defender in the right circle and flicked a wrister past Kozlowski for the early advantage.

Army answered later in the period with Hatten dangling the puck in the slot and firing a shot through the pads of Sacred Heart’s Josh Benson to even the score at 1-1 at the end of one. Brett Abdelnour and Eric Butte were given the helpers on the play.

A majority of the second period belonged to the goaltenders as both netminders made a couple of dramatic saves to keep it a tie game until Army capitalized on its third power play of the night. With 1:23 left in the frame, John Zimmerman slid the puck to DeYoung and the senior unleashed a one-timer from the left side to give Army the 2-1 advantage going into the final period. Colin Bilek was credited with the second assist on the play for his third helper of the year.

Sacred Heart got even at 2-2 with 13:09 left in regulation as Ryan Steele tied the game up with his fourth of the season to force overtime and the shootout.

In the shootout, Anthony Firriolo put Army up in the second round, however Braeden Tuck got the Pioneers even with their last chance in the third round. Mason Krueger gave Army the advantage in the fifth round, going top shelf and then Kozlowski closed the door for the 2-1 shootout victory.

Army is back at Tate Rink on Thursday night for a 7:05 PM puck drop against American International for the fifth time this regular season.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email