Nearly $200M in Funding For NY-18 School Districts

NEWBURGH – US Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney hosted a press conference recently with local superintendents to announce over $200 million in American Rescue Plan funds for Hudson Valley School Districts.

“Our schools have been on the frontlines of the pandemic, and it’s only because of the heroic efforts of our teachers, our school boards, and our superintendents that our kids have been able to continue their education during this very difficult period,” said Rep. Maloney. “The American Rescue Plan includes a historic investment in education. We are sending over $200 million dollars to Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, and Westchester County school districts. These funds will transformational. We’re going to get our kids safely back in school and back on track.”

The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) will send over $200 million to Orange, Putnam, Westchester, and Dutchess school districts. Specifically, the package will deliver $30 million to Newburgh, $17 million to Middletown, $15 million to Poughkeepsie, $4 million to Beacon, $60 million to Kiryas Joel and $7 million to Port Jervis.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Education announced American Rescue Plan Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief will be made available to state educational agencies (SEAs) this month. ARPA includes $122.8 billion in ESSER funds allocated based on each school district’s Title I, Part A funding.

The bill requires states to allocate ESSER funds in the following manner:

* Local Education Agencies (LEAs): 90% of funding will be distributed to districts based on their relative share of Title I, Part A funding. LEAs will be required to use at least 20% of the funds they receive to address lost learning time for students. They will have the freedom to spend the remaining 80% of funding based on local needs and priorities.

* Lost Learning Time: States must use at least 5% of their ESSER funding to address learning loss by supporting the implementation of evidence-based interventions, such as summer learning, extended day, comprehensive afterschool programs, or extended school year programs, and ensure such interventions respond to students’ academic, social, and emotional needs and address the disproportionate impact of the coronavirus on [students of color, students from families experiencing low-incomes, students with disabilities, English language learners, migrant students, students experiencing homelessness, and students in foster care].

* After-School Programs: A minimum of 1% of state funding must be used for after-school programs that address students’ academic, social, and emotional needs.

* Summer Enrichment Programs: At least 1% of funding must be used by states to provide students with evidence-based summer learning programs.

* Administration Costs: States can spend up to 0.5% of their funding on the costs of administrating this program.

* Remaining State Funds: States will be allowed to use these funds on any of the allowable uses in the act.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email