Marist Women’s Soccer Posts 1-1 Draw at Maine

By Connor Giblin

ORONO, ME – Sophomore midfielder Amanda Caldarelli erased a second-half deficit with her first goal of the season, senior goalkeeper Natalie Kelchner posted a season-best nine saves, and the Marist women’s soccer team posted a 1-1 draw with Maine on Sunday afternoon at Mahaney Diamond.

The Red Foxes conclude non-conference play with a 1-2-1 record. The Black Bears move to 2-1-2 in 2021.

After a scoreless first half, Maine struck first in the 61st minute thanks to Delaney Labonte’s second goal of the year. However, Marist responded less than four minutes later; senior captain Samantha Sturno fed Caldarelli in the box for the equalizer. That would be the final tally of the day as both teams went through two overtime periods.

Senior forward Victoria Colatosti paced the Red Foxes with three shots on goal. Caldarelli and classmate Chance Hendricks had two shots apiece.

Maine had eight different Black Bears notch two shots, while keeper Kira Kutzinski registered four saves.

First Half
Marist recorded the first of the game in the 14th minute, as freshman midfielder Christina Layden tried to poke one near the left post that Kutzinski punched away.

Maine earned a corner kick three minutes later, and Amanda Sandberg sent an ensuing shot wide left of the goal.

In the 19th minute, the Red Foxes were awarded their first corner. Caldarelli tried to settle for a shot at the top of the box, but was off the mark.

Sturno took a free kick from about 25 yards out in the 21st minute and placed it directly on net, where Kutzinski caught it.

In the 28th minute, Colatosti almost got a 1-on-1 opportunity with the goalie, but a heavy touch went to Kutzinski before the senior could settle for a shot.

Four minutes later, she streaked down the left side for a chance that got past the keeper, but rolled narrowly wide right.

Within a span of a minute, Maine had their two best chances. Myla Schneider fired a 20-yard blast wide right, while Kelchner denied Tegan Morrison near the right post for her first save.

Less than three minutes until halftime, Halle Rogers sent in a long ball towards Kelchner’s direction, forcing the senior to punch it away.

Second Half
Sturno and Colatosti had back-to-back chances within the first five minutes of the frame, but Kutzinski was there for a save both instances.

Kayla Kraemer had a shot blocked by a Red Fox defender, then Kelchner easily corralled Susannah Gaines’ rebound opportunity in the 53rd minute.

In the 59th minute, Colatosti got inside the box and fended off a Black Bear defender, but her shot sailed above the crossbar.

Caldarelli’s goal was a one-timer off Sturno’s corner kick from the far corner.

Maine threatened with a corner kick in the 70th minute, but Kelchner punched out the insert, then graduate defender Deanna Lomino headed out another Black Bear cross.

In the 73rd minute, Hendricks was alone in the upper-right corner of the box, but her shot fluttered wide left.

Rogers launched a free kick near midfield in the 82nd minute, but it traveled all the way to the goal for Kelchner to collect for a save.

With less than 90 seconds to go in regulation, Kayla Kraemer placed a 20-yard shot towards the left post, but Kelchner caught up to it to make the save and keep it tied.

Over a minute in, Emma Donovan couldn’t fully connect on her transition opportunity, letting Kelchner gobble the shot.

That was the only shot of the first 10 minutes of overtime.

In the 102nd minute, Hannah Bamford shot one from inside the 18-yard box, but Kelchner was at the right post to deny her.

Going the other way, sophomore forward Bridget Dudziec had a shot blocked, then classmate Grace DiVincenzo’s rebound chance was sent wide right.

Maine pressured in the 106th minute with Donovan’s one-timer in front of the left post stopped by Kelchner. The Black Bears maintained possession, but Labonte’s shot soared above the woodwork.

Marist earned a corner kick in the final minute, but the Black Bear defense cleared it out before the Red Foxes could get a shot.

Working on the counter, Maine entered the 18-yard box, but Lomino successfully cleared the ball before it got close to the net.

Marist begins MAAC play on Saturday, September 18th, welcoming Fairfield to Tenney Stadium for a 1 p.m. kickoff.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email