Second Half Comeback Earns Knights a Draw

By D.J. Bevivino

NEWBURGH – It was Alumni Weekend at The Mount and Coach Lyn’s team wanted to show their predecessors that they had left the team in good hands. The Knights played host to the Dolphins from the College of Mount Saint Vincent, the fourth conference opponent of the season. The weather pregame was as cooperative as it has been for much of the fall, but as the first whistle sounded the sun peaked out from the clouds and the rain cleared up, allowing a great fall day for a game.

The Knight didn’t get off to the best start, 34 seconds in and an errant pass back to keeper Christina Kakavas resulted in a very quick one goal deficit. The team rallied hard, cleared their heads and focused on getting back into the match. MSMC’s offense struggled in the first half, with rare offensive chances, and the defense was under constant pressure in the middle third. However, the efforts of the team brought them into halftime, only down a goal.

The second half started similar to the first, allowing a second early goal, the Knights were down 2-0. Most teams at this point would have dropped their heads and packed it in, but that’s not who our team is. A surge of energy could be felt all throughout Kaplan Complex. The Parents, the Alumni, the Students, the whole MSMC community in attendance, cheered and encouraged the team to fight back and not give up… and they did just that.

In the 75th minute Angelica Sanchez, who had just come in off the bench, intercepted a shaky defensive clear at the top corner of the box. Sanchez played a high ball in to the center where teammate Raina Quinones skillfully redirected the ball off her head and over the Dolphin keeper’s hands, the Knights where back in it.

Only six minutes later Quinones broke down the left side of the field. She made a hard drive across the end line, played a great ball in, but it was defended well and cleared… or so it seemed. The Knights were pressing high so the ball wasn’t able to leave the box. Victoria Maffettone played a cross in to a wide-open Lily Tanko sitting at the back post. Tanko buried the ball into the net uncontested, leveling the score.

Although the game ended in a 2-2 draw, this second half comeback keeps the Knights undefeated in the Skyline conference.

The Knight will be back in action at home October 4th at 7pm as they host the Rams from Farmingdale State College.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email